Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Silver Sneakers

The 1st time I saw anybody involved in a Silver Sneakers class was when mom was in Heritage Place in the transition unit. She had a compression fracture in her lower spine. And a gnarly, plastic, turtle shell-type back brace had been fashioned for her tiny bird-like body.  She exercised with a physical therapist every day but was not in the shape necessary for Silver Sneakers.  But when I saw the group of older people exercising in a group setting there, with someone facilitating the class, I was impressed.  I thought to myself, Wow, even an accident prone, head injured, over 50 could do that! It gave me something to look forward to...when I got older.

Then, after a meal at Sykes (one of our favorite places for a quick meal,) as we paid the bill, I spotted a pamphlet with the heading, Fitness 50 plus. Classes were offered in the basement there, with the tag professional safe exercise for the 50+ older adult.  Not even realizing it was Silver Sneakers, I asked my sister to join me.  We've gone twice a week for a while now, and I really enjoy it.  Wally says she likes it too, but part of me thinks she might be humoring me.  But as long as she shows up, I'll keep on believin'.  

It's a strength and balance class, but Nancy (Mehring) also leads a Zumba Gold class which is a dance-fitness.  I've just come to accept my love of dance, now that I'm old, as well as disabled.  I have absolutely no balance, and only 1/2 my body works at full capacity.  We decided, actually Wally gently suggested, that we try this class before we move to jumping around like fools.

This Friday, however, we're starting an advanced strength and balance class.  We've been told we'll be on our feet moving for 30 minutes straight, with weights and stretchy bands.  I guess we'll put off the dance-type fitness till we see if we can handle this.

Oh, and I had to tell mom, No, we weren't placed in the advanced class because we're all that and a bag-o-chips... we're just silly enough to try it!




No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...