Saturday, April 19, 2014

Peeing My Pants

After my head injury I could  hold it for what seems like an epoch amount of time.  But, I have recently lost that skill (I think my current state of contenency is more age related, however.)  I was the Boise City Track Meet, and I found myself in BSU's blue infield just prior to Rachel's 300 m hurdle race.  I realized I had to go to the bathroom, but I knew I didn't have time to hobble up into the stands, to the restroom. Look at the picture, the bathrooms are in orange section 1/2 way up! I decided to try and hold it.

I positioned myself near the start of the race, which is the back side of the 400 m track. From the start area, my plan was to hobble towards the center of the infield to watch her run the far corner, and be moving towards the last stretch of the race, to the finish line.  I knew my viewing would not turn out how I envisioned it, because I always overestimated my abilities, but I was willing to give it a go.

Rachel had obviously listened when I told her the secret to the race was to go out hard, from the start. I let her know she was going to be spent in the last 50 meters whether she in front, or trailing, but it would be much easier to finish if she were winning.  Also, I reminded her the 400 meters is considered a sprint, and this was only 300 meters, with hurdles.  She was a decent hurdler, with lightening speed, so I figured this was her race.

The gun sounded, she blasted from her blocks; the first competitor over the first hurdle. Of course, I was screaming like a banshee, and it became more, and more difficult to hold it.  The more I yelled, the more I struggled, but at least I was alone in the infield.  I think she hit  hurdle 3 or 4 but still, her lead was growing.  Every time I shouted encouragement, I dibbled some, but was thankful it was a hot day, because everyone was drenched in sweat.  By the races end, my bladder was close to empty, but I took the time to get to a restroom, finish my business, and dry off as best as I could.

It was her fastest 300 hurdle race, and her last.  She broke the city record, and was a shoe in for a state medal, but her coaches had other ideas.  They thought the 300 hurdles were run too close to the 200 (a race they pegged her for), so at the state meet she didn't run the long hurdle race.  I disagreed, but didn't want to be that parent.  Instead,  I ended up being the parent who peed their pants on the BSU infield.
I

No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...