Tuesday, May 6, 2014

5th Avenue East

I came back to where I began life, literally.  

          After returning home to Montana, I lived for a while in the hospital I was born in.  It had been remade as fashionable art studios, and upscale condos.  My unit was the size of a shoe box.  Its model may have been the shoe box for a man’s logging boot, but none the less, a shoe box.  The ceilings were high, and the pipes exposed.  The space was long, following the outer edge of the vintage brick building, and only one room deep.  Six tall windows, with extra wide casings and neat double hung windows that reminded me of my childhood helped me feel the neighborhood.  

I spent my early years in this neighborhood, after being born in this building. My home was just 4 blocks down the same street, 5th Avenue East. 

The ancient brick on the inside of the old hospital was bare, and a a child, down the street, our kitchen stove was tucked away in an alcove of the same, so I had always wanted to live with exposed brick.  I got the chance, but have since moved on, like I did as a child.

No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...