Sunday, January 12, 2014

Random Thoughts

I sometimes think the effect of my TBI mirrors ADHD.  I was in education for quite a while, and subject to many children, both medicated and not, who suffered from ADHD so I know exactly what it looks like; a child can be questioning, how do I...? and then the subject changes entirely to, Did you know my little brother is trying to teach himself to burp the alphabet?  It seems I have the same randomness. Here are some of those moments:

  • My oldest sister hand made me a beautiful quilt that I took to college, and because I washed and dried it so much it literally disintegrated.  My sister-in-law did the exact same thing after my accident.  The quilts, in my mind, were almost identical!  I am washing the one that's still alive less, and I only dry it part way, and then drape it over a chair to finish the process.  Still, I wonder, are the quilts really so much alike or is that my mind playing tricks?
  • The best time to play Fox & Geese is after it snows because there needs to be a very evident trail that the geese must stay on as the fox chase them.  As a child we played at night, mostly, and my oldest brother always created the trail stomping an erratic path in the snow.
  • I asked my husband to bring a lawn chair from the garage, to our patio.  It has a foot rest that pops out and is really comfy, and I was thinking I could read my Kindle out there.  But then I remembered it had snowed another 3 inches last night, and that I live in Montana.  I guess I'll have to wait.
  • It amazes me that a simple smell can bring back childhood memories.  When I smelled the smoke I did, (smoke has so many different odors,) my thoughts were only of 5th Ave East; the burn barrel, in the back yard.  That's where we burned all our household refuse.  Can you believe that was allowed?
  • My son's dog, Dante, has a wandering eye.  He and his gal Brittany say the eye is wonky, and often times just call the dog Wonk.  My left eye wanders too; it doesn't appear to be looking straight when my other eye is. So, maybe I should change the way I refer to my that eye.  But, then I think, it's not just the eye, my whole right hemisphere is compromised.  And then I say to myself Compromised is a cool word too!  But back to wonky. From this time forward, my compromised right hemisphere will be referred to as being wonky.  That is, if I remember.

No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...