Thursday, January 2, 2014

Hitch in My Get-Along and Swimming

I remember when my ex and I lived in Spokane, the valley. One brutally cold night we decided to go for a run. What were we thinking? Oh, that's right, we were young.  The route we chose to run was a little-travelled-country-type road, and the night sky was crystal clear.  The heavens were chock-full of stars and, it was as if the silence had wrapped us safely in its cloak. 

Interesting. Of all the thoughts in my damaged brain, that's what shows itself! I don't remember being miserable, or how long we ran, or what we talked about. But the image of that cold sky, and the silence is what stuck.

Swimming has never been a favorite, maybe because I had so little body fat, floating wasn't easy. More about swimming, and why I now love it, later. 

Now, I have mobility issues: a hitch in my get-along. Everything seems to be able to do what is suppose to do, but there is a disconnect between my brain and Everything, so the job is compromised.

The job: Getting me from here to there, on my feet. I can only walk absolutely correct for not so many steps. Therefore, I limp and, try as I might, I can't NOT LIMP!  So, if walking is difficult, what are the chances that I can run?  

I cannot run.  Soon after my TBI, I thought that, over time, the kinks might smooth out.  Eventually, I thought, I'd be able to, at least, jog!  I always hated distance work.  To me that meant anything longer than 1/4 mile! But, there I was, working towards distance work!

But, time didn't help the disconnect, and I never have been able to run.  Sad.

Water arobics is how I started to love swimming,  and I realized how much I loved being in the water; period!

Happy.  Swimming is so dang cool because: 
  1. I can't fall down 
  2. I don't over heat
  3. Our best friend lives on Flathead lake
  4. The Noodle was invented


No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...