Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Boise or Bust

When I moved back to where I was born and raised I thought it would be my last move but that doesn't seem to be the case. Dan retires in February and I'm afraid if we don't make a change then, it may never happen. Change is good and we are not done with this thing called life.

I came home for a variety of reasons and have enjoyed it all. This lucky duck found a new mate, learned how to coach basketball and cross country and mentored some amazing kids who taught me what is important and what is not. 

Let's just say I was here for about 20 years, the first time, and I'm close to 60. So for the past 40 years I've lived in six different places. If you do the math, it's time for me to move again.
  1. Eugene, OR 
  2. Spokane, WA
  3. La Crescenta, CA
  4. Lancaster, CA
  5. Lynden, WA
  6. Boise, ID
I've chosen Boise which will be the 3rd city I've lived in more than once. My kids are there, I miss them very much and I want to enjoy them as adults while I still can. Boise has grown a lot since I called it home, but it is still a very comfortable city.

When I tell people about our decision, I get the idea some think it has not been well thought out. Actually, most probably think we gave it no thought at all which is false. Hear this: I realize I won't see my kids daily and maybe not even weekly, nor do I want to. Also, I know they might move away as soon as we get there, and we're OK with that too. 

Winters are hard for me and Boise has a gentler climate. It does snow but the average is 31 inches per year in comparison to Kalispell's 56That may not feel like a huge difference but it is for those who hobble. The snow rarely stays and does not build up. Moving to Boise the 1st time, I realized it was sunnier than any place I had been. On average, there are 206 days per year with sunshine in Boise and only 151 days in Kalispell. More sun and less snow result in a longer golfing season which Dan will like.

Housing options abound in Boise. Although there are beau-coup single family homes in many very different areas, there are also other living options. There are several 55 plus retirement communities. They are regulated by the U.S. Department of Housing which require that at least one person is 55 or older in a least 80 percent of the occupied units. The monthly dues usually include lawn/garden maintenance and snow removal along with fancy things like a pool, clubhouse, fitness center, golf course(s), restaurant and bar.

Currently I belong to the Summit where I attend 'old people' fitness courses both on the ground and in the pool. So theoretically I would not have to join a gym and all course fees would be covered by our home owners association fee. The a resale market would be smaller but the neighbors would be more like us.

There are also communities with pools and other fun stuff that have no age restrictions. These communities are likely to include families with kids and I have not decided whether or not I want kids around. Part of me loves kids, that's one reason why I coach, but then again, random children I have nothing to do with can be annoying.












No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...