Monday, January 19, 2015

Seizures and Such

I have a new neurologist, my 1st in Kalispell.  When I left the hospital, and for many years after,  I called them head doctors.  Probably because was the main injury that put me in the hospital.  When I left California, I thought of myself as recovered, to a certain extent.

Almost as soon as I got home we moved to Eugene, OR and I did some rehab the hospital near campus, but did not see a neurologist.  We moved to Lynden, WA after a short while, and I still
did not see a neurologist.  Finally we moved to Boise, ID and I don't remember seeing a neurologist there either. I haven't seen a doctor regarding my head injury since I left Los Angeles.

I did see a doctor, where I don't know, in order for my disability payments to continue.  I needed to prove, Yes, I am still disabled! And more recently, I saw a Doc here in Kalispell to review my condition, to once again receive disability.

I was happy to learn that it is very common for people who work themselves off disability, go back on it, at some time before retirement.  The last step in my reapplication process was to an actual doc, to show them I was disabled.  She examined me, and asked me some questions and we both laughed at their simplicity. I proceeded to answer them wrong.  She said she was amazed I had worked as long as I did, but she would report that I was indeed disabled.  She warned me the final decision was not hers, she was only giving those in charge her professional opinion.

By the way, she said, you should have a neurologist.

When my primary doctor and I decided my hot spells were not menopausal, and are triggered by anxious thoughts he also said I should see a neurologist.  When in doubt blame the TBI (traumatic brain injury.)  I'm sure you know some, who should I see? I asked him.  He told me the Lindsay brothers were excellent, and he would get me into one of them.  But just as he said Lindsay, I had a flashback to a high school reunion, when I was told that a classmate, Brett Lindsay, had become a brain doctor.  I asked to see him.

I've seen him twice.  !st we tried increasing my anti depressant, because that can work to alleviate anxiety, but it didn't work.  Now. we are trying a seizure med, because after talking more, Brett (I'm sorry, but I can't call him Doctor) thinks they might be mini seizures.  I thought, Call it whatever you want!  Just make them stop!  

Now, when I feel myself heat up, I ask myself, Self? Does this feel like a seizure?  I'm trying to believe it might be the case, and am planning a celebration when I am flush free, but there is a part of me that says, No, I'm destined to live in discomfort, I've had a TBI.

The temporal lobe processed emotion and is important in short term memory, and that's where I hit my head.  A blow there can result in seizure disorders.  One of the 1st questions you get when docs find out I've had a TBI is, Do you have seizures?  I always considered myself lucky because I don't have them; at least not the loss of consciousness/jerking around type that everyone is familiar with. But, I learned you can have a seizure that doesn't result in in any of that. So now I'm wondering, and researching what is actually called a temporal lobe seizure.

Having odd feeling like euphoria or deja vu are also typical of temporal lobe seizure symptoms. Funny thing is I've always had a view deja vu moments, but I've had many, many more for the past couple years, and they've been different.  I always assumed they were glimpses into past lives (yes, I believe in reincarnation) because the brief thoughts are of another era.  Those short moments are very pleasant, but Brett says they may also go away, with the hot flashes, but it would be worth it.

We'll see if 6 weeks on this med helps.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...