Friday, January 23, 2015

Birdie in Boise

Dan and I went to Boise at Christmas to see my children.  I've returned to Boise several times after moving back home to Montana.  First, it was during the summer since I was still working in the school district and I drove alone, over Lolo Pass, taking the scenic route.  I always took that way because it is the way I know (the head injury aspect) but now that Dan drives we take freeways.  We stayed in motels and spent 2 days getting there, and 2 days returning, so it was vacation-like.

All the motels we stayed in had pools, because I love swimming.  Wait, those of you who know me, realize I can't actually swim.  So I guess it's being in water, floundering about, floundering about, that I love. Even in Boise, we stayed in a hotel.  I love both my children but it was nice for them, and us, to have our own space. There's also the fact that one of my kids live in a house with stairs, not a favorite. And not just stairs, but stairs everywhere you turn! And the other child has 2 dogs, 2 cats, and usually an easy-to-fall-in love-with foster animal of some sort.  The foster animal is there because my son's significant other works for the humane society, but Brittany is really the epitome of an animal whisperer.  It's not a great place for someone with allergies to stay, but I love my visits with the grand pets Dexter, Dante, Dre and Daeni.

The foster pet was a real problem this time.  I fell in love with Birdie, a tiny puppy of chihuahua/ miniature pincher mix.  Her enormous ears stood straight up and were almost as big as her head, so it looked like she was ready to take flight.  She had a bad case of kennel cough, though, and snuggled on my lap every minute I was in their home. She even cozied up to Dan!   Dan's cat, Tooncis, (named for Saturday Night Live's cat that could drive,) loves him, but I remain the extra person in the room. He'll occasionally glance at me as if to say, sOh, till here huh?

Well, because Birdie was sick I couldn't take her, but we loved on her whenever she was available. Soon after we arrived home Brittany let me know that Birdie had flown to that big dog party in the sky.  She said the Vet had determined that she wasn't thriving, and along with the cough, she probably had distemper.  Brittany was positive about the whole thing, and said in her final times Birdie felt a lot of love, from many people,  I'm glad that we were part of her short life.



No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...