Tuesday, September 16, 2014

This TBI, and the Duck's Hall of Fame

                                     

I believe a person never fully recovers from trauma to the brain.  Any horrific injury will change you, to certain extent, right?

and, I will forever consider myself head injured.  I rarely pass up reading articles on the subject, but comparing brain injuries is difficult.  I think about its manifestations almost daily but, I try not to dwell.

I had a wonderful life before my accident, and I'm thankful for the things I was able to accomplish, and last Weekend, I was transported back to that time. I was inducted into the University of Oregon Hall of Fame, September 12th at Autzen Stadium, in Eugene, OR.. 

It was a magical time, as my family and I were  treated like royalty. The kindness shown me was extraordinary. I drove with my new husband Dan, and our good friend Brian, to Eugene with a stop in Portland where I got to spend a day with my best childhood friend Stasia.  Once in Eugene, we met up with my children, Rachel and Harrison, and their significant others, Joe and Brittany.  My mother Shirley, and two of my siblings were also able to attend. Bruce, with his wife Linda Ames and son Zach, and my sister Aimee, with her husband Eric Iverson were there too. It was fun to see my young adult kids, with their mates and cousin, being kids and I was reminded of myself at that age.  

The ceremony itself was an elegant affair.  The night seemed to fly by, and I saw many old friends, but the connection that meant the most was with Kenny Moore. He was a Sports Illustrated writer, had dated a team mate, and is a wonderful inspiration to me.  And, if I could change anything it would be to have spent more quality time with my two Oregon coaches, Mark, and Tom.

When I saw video clips of inductees were  shown prior to inductee speeches, (Yes, I had to speak,) I thought to myself, Video wasn't around back when I ran. But due to jangled nerves, I didn't watch much of mine anyway. 

Pat Johnson, a two-sport All-American went before me.  He  mentioned all the other inductees and said a little something about them.  He had nothing written down and seemed to be winging it, so when he got to my name he fumbled.  He ended up saying something about me still being relevant.  So I quickly added a new 1st line to mine, and because I couldn't locate pen or pencil I just repeated his name in my head, over, and over, with the word relevant.

This is the speech I gave:

I need to say this before I forget, Pat Johnson?  He's still relevant too.  But back to me... (or something like that, anyway.)

I was 7, and my mom lied about my age to get me on an all-girls track team.  The Timberettes were coached by the community college coach and athletes. Flathead Valley Community College only had a girls’ track team.  When I was really little, I’d look to the stands to wave at my mom and didn't care how I finished, but It didn't take long for me to realize how much I loved to win.
wasn't going to run in Jr High, because girls didn't do sports.  But, in my 7th grade girls’ PE class, I ran a timed mile and the HS coach, Joe McKay, saw it.  He asked me to go out for track when I got to high school, and that’s all it took. I decided I would run in Jr high & high school, if I was good enough, and it was all because of Joe.  
I was still at the Jr High as a freshman (it was 8-9th grade) and I rode the bus across town to the high school and ran varsity…for COACH McKay.  By the way, Joe McKay has won the most state track and field titles in Montana history, and he is a really cool guy.

Towards the end of high school, I saw the list of times I had to run, to be a Duck. And, I laughed at the thought I’d EVER run that fast.  But, behind my back, my dad called, Tom Heinonan, the Duck’s head coach and we ended up visiting Eugene.  That’s the short story of how I got here.

The hurdles were higher and further apart then I ran in HS but I did ok , and I even broke some records, but, I never thought I’d still hold one after so many years, especially in the 400 meter hurdles.  I’d never run a hurdle race that long until becoming a Duck.  The longest I had run at home was 110 yards… yes, yards, that’s how old I am.

I stayed fairly healthy while I was here.  The team Doctor, Ken Singer, always teased by me saying he’d get me under his knife, sooner or later.   He ended up operating on my knee. But, I’d like everyone to know, it was NO FAULT of his, that my heart stopped part way through his procedure.  He calmly stepped back, let the anesthesiologist do what they do, and then finished his work.

But in 1991, I had a REAL brush with death when I sustained a traumatic brain injury in a car crash.  I lost all the motor skills on the right side of me, but I had 2 kids to raise, and a life to live.  Some say that my drive, and competitive nature is the reason I recovered to the extent that I did.

I still have a hitch in my get-along, my left eye wander, I search for words, and I process s things slower, but I survived.  My two beautiful children are grown now, Rachel and Harrison, and I’m so VERY proud of them. And, I have a new husband, Dan, who makes every night my Fri night.

And, at my old Jr High, that’s now a middle school, I COACH hurdles.  I get over 40, 7th and 8th grade girls and boys who want to hurdle.  And lots are distance runners because I also coach Cross country.  Their 1st meet is tomorrow, but my AD said THIS was a valid excuse to miss it.

I need to thank some specific people now.  First, thanks to my parents, Moose and Shirley, who were my biggest fans, and rarely missed a meet.  

Thanks to Tom Heinonan, for letting my dad bring me here to try out, for keeping me focused, and for not forgetting me.  

Thank you to Mark Stream, for making me the best hurdler, and long jumper I could have ever been, for his very consistent kindness, and for helping me become the person I am today.  

Thanks to Rick Troxel, who was my trainer, and is enjoying the sand and surf in Hawaii right now, for keeping me healthy, for NOT passing out in Doctor Singer’s operating room during the heart incident, and remaining a good friend all these years.  

And finally, my family for their UNCONDITIONAL love, and support back then, but especially now.

No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...