Friday, September 19, 2014

Now We're Neighbors

 Mom, in her new yard
My mom moved into the town house across the street.

As my sister drove me home about 6 months ago, she pointed to the units across the street and said, We should knock on the door and ask them to sell so that mom could move in there.  Less than 6 months later, a For Sale sign appeared in front of one of the two town homes. I spent about 24 hours trying to answer the question Do I really want my mother living across the street?  but then I remembered; one of the reasons I came home, was to help my sister, Wally, care for my mom as she aged.   I don't have a great memory, but I remembered that.

Wally has a business to run, and I am no longer working on a daily basis, so I am the person most likely to help out.

I spent many hours each day, at my Mom's side, after she broke her hip.  Wally was there too, but she had a job to do.  I had just started drawing, so I'd bring my art supplies each day. I filled a couple of sketch books, watched too many episodes of Judge Judy-type programming, and tried to keep the spirits up.  After returning home, my sister spent nights with her, and I spent days.  We finally decided it was time for her to try things on her own.  She has done well, having both good days, and not so good ones.  She now has her 6 speed Audi back, after we tried hard to get her into an automatic, but I continue to do most of the driving. But that's fine, it is one of the reasons I came home, right?

Her apartment in the old hospital has no covered parking, let alone a garage, which is just plain crazy in Montana.  And, she has no outdoor space, which she misses greatly.  She tried to sell her unit a while ago, and had very little action. She didn't renew the listing as she had no place she really wanted to go.  But then, the place across the street came up!  It met all her requirements, plus it was close to both her girls.

It took some doing, but we convinced her to move.  She bought it and re-modeled, while still at the old hospital.  They painted, carpeted, and installed new counter tops, and appliances.   Her homes have always been beautiful, and this won't be any different, but she is moving out of the nicest neighborhood in town, to the country. At least, in her eyes.  She can see the sky from here, and has a beautiful view of the sunset from her deck.  She also has a flower filled yard and gardener to care for it.

Last night was the 1st night in her new home, and I look forward to her being across the street rather than driving into town, parking, and hobbling up to her unit.  Those days are gone, and she will begin another chapter of her life.




No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...