Friday, February 7, 2014

The R Word, and Recall

As a child, the word retard was common, but in 1991 I suffered a traumatic brain injury, and I really saw it for what it was; demeaning.  When my kids got to be school aged, they began to hear other kids use the word. I explained to them, rather loudly, that it wasn’t a good word, and it wouldn't be allowed in our house, dang it! Stabbing my chest, I asked if they wanted people to refer to me as retarded.  

But you’re not! They said.

Cht, Cht, Cht, (that means WAIT A MINUTE!) let me finish!  I replied.  (Side note: I still can’t be interrupted mid-story and be expected to recall what I was talking about, unless time is given.)

Here’s the timeline on that situation:

Pre 1991 - After interruption, I simply returned to the right place in the right story

1991- Crash!   Traumatic Brain Injury sustained

Post TBI - After interruption, I couldn’t remember the story, or where I stopped 

Post, Post TBI - After interruption, I needed prompts to get back to the right story       and restart it in the right place

Currently - After interruption, I can remember the story, and pick it up where left off but
must be given extra time

I said some people would consider me retarded because of my limp and wandering eye.  And, I wanted to add, Because of mom's slow, mental processing speed, (which is medium on a good day) but they were too young to understand. Instead, I told them, You guys know I don’t always have the right words to say what I want.  

They must have gotten it, though, because I didn’t hear the R word again, at least not that I remember.


No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...