Monday, January 6, 2014

Efficient Paths

For Christmas, my brother sent me @xkcd, volume 0  (an online comic book) and when I ran across this, I knew I had to share!

Paths

I especially like how I can say I do the very same thing he does!  He describes himself as an awkward science nerd, but I'd like to point one thing out.  At one time, he was a NASA physicist. 

I've talked about how I limp, or the hitch-in-my-get-along.  I use the word hobble to describe my mobility. But I had an  acquaintance once cringe at that word, telling me I was degrading myself by speaking that way.  My response? Oh, well.


Why this comic?  Because, like I said earlier, I do the same thing, ALWAYS! Not only do I hobble, my balance is also way out of whack.  And, you know the cliche: If I had a nickle for every time I've fallen, I'd be rich!  Well, maybe I haven't fallen that much, but after the first thousand or so times, even my children's concern for me diminished.

Suffice it to say, I don't like to be on my feet!  Therefore, the shortest route between where I'm at, and where I need to be, is always foremost in my mind. When I'm on my feet, my primary concern is always what's the shortest route?Even in my own house, I consider the routes available.  The shortest distance between my car, or where I'm sitting, and anywhere I habitually wander, is cemented in my brain.  
I take that back, I never just wander.

No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...