Monday, December 2, 2013

The Application is In


The decision was made after I crashed my 3-wheel recumbant (read: fancy trike.) My major issue post TBI is balance, which I have very little of, hence the trike.  I ride it every day when I coach cross country at the middle school, which I will continue to do, even though I have retired.   There are two of us coaching the 40 plus kids we start with at the beginning of each season.


I'm running off the trail now, so I'll get back to where I started.  I tipped over going down a short, steep grade, and separated my shoulder and sprained my pelvis.  Those are things I didn't realize for over a week however.  But after my chiropractor x-rayed and started me on an intense rehab schedule, I had to finally admit that my body, in its compromised state, had enough of the daily grind, and I began to apply for disability.  

Initially it was done over the phone, and although I thought I had received a denial to a preliminary something, it had been a full on denial; I made too much money.  This I knew, and that I had to quit before I could go any farther.  I did just that, and began an on-line app.  But I found out I had been denied for real.  I conversed with a lovely SS worker the day before Turkey day, and missed a call from her late that afternoon.  I was "thankful" because it seemed I was finally on my way to approval.

Today was my 1st day of my Unofficial job; Applying for Disability. I got right on the phone to return the call I received from the kind SS worker pre-holiday. I was unable to reach her, of course, and was told that because I had been working with "A" she was who I needed to speak with.  I imagined "A" sitting at her work station in North Dakota, listening to the message I had left, and saying to herself "Well, Montana can wait, I've got North Dakotans to help!"  I was probably the only one she could reach at the end of that long Wednesday afternoon, trapped at work.

Although I am not one to "text" easily, unless it's one of my children, I silently wished I could text "A."

No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...