Friday, June 1, 2018

East Grandstand at Hayward Field

The east grandstands at Hayward Field are going to be removed, as I understand, to make way for an ultra modern stadium surrounding the famous track. I ran on this track during my college years in the early 80s.

Image may contain: 1 person   Image may contain: 1 person, indoor  No automatic alt text available.


Competing as a Duck, I trained on that track daily for four years; both winning and placing. I took victory laps just inside the rail and even set some school records there. But my tie to those east stands is not very strong. One particular memory of those stands is crystal clear. I see my coach Mark behind the waist high wall, his long, skinny self leaning out, seemingly over the outside lane. I heard his cheers both at the start and mid race.

I was running the 800 meters as a rabbit during an evening Prefontaine classic. My best event was the 400 meter hurdles so maybe they thought I could lead them out fast for the first lap. I knew the rabbit usually drops out after they do there job but that was never discussed so I finished. Finishing last was not what I was use to but as the rabbit that's the way it went.

The other memory I have of those stands is of the men's team and Coach Dellinger. A couple of us "girls" were training for the first half of the 400 meter hurdles directly in front of those grandstands. Dellinger and some of his athletes approached us and without pause the famous coach shouted to get off his track so his men could work out. Although we were angry, we moved to the other side of the oval. I can still hear his words.

I saw the throwers coming and going from what I assumed were the rooms below those old, decrepit stands but the sprinter/jumper/hurdler part of the team did our non track work under the newer stands across the track. We had a long jump pit, medicine balls and hurdles under our stands but I never saw what was below the East stands.

Attending the 2012 Olympic Trials, I walked behind and kind of under the structure, and was shocked. It was clean, there were concessions and the grandstands themselves felt far more sturdy than they had when I ran as a Duck. I sat in those East stands alone, about five rows up and it was pretty cool. The spectators were so close to the competitors; you thought you might be able to reach out and touch the runners. I had little experience as a spectator, but I knew this track was special. The next day, I sat in the cordoned off area reserved for important people. My friends, Kip and Jody, somehow got Duck teammate Lisa, and I "in." Sitting there to watch the races was great but I preferred the home stretch and my last day there I found someone willing to let me sit near the start. There was a handicapped section above the 100 meter and short hurdles' start line and the woman observed my knee brace and hobble and determined I was indeed handicapped.

My next experience at Hayward was in 2014 when my husband Dan and I walked onto the track and into the infield just to look around. Soon after our arrival we were approached by a coach type person who told us it was a closed facility and we needed to leave. I was at loss for words but Dan simply said that we were on campus because I was to be inducted into their Hall of Fame that evening. I'm sure the coach had no idea who I was or had been but he backed away telling us to enjoy ourselves.

Yes, I understand wanting those old stands to remain as part of the up date, but I also understand the desire to modernize. I feel fortunate that, when it is all said and done, I'll be able to say I ran at Hayward, in the olden days. It is home of the best track fans in the country and I feel fortunate to have been on those receiving end of that encouragement.







No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...