Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Still Watching

Where were we?  This is where I might get confused because Rachel spent a semester at a Catholic school in Boise.

SIDE NOTE: We began attending Catholic church in that charming little Washington town, up by the border. We gave the very responsible parenting thing our best shot, and our oldest child even received her 1st communion. But when the priest we enjoyed was transferred, we decided to try a nondenominational Christian Church in Bellingham. If we were in the big city on Sundays, after church we could go out to breakfast and then to Costco. Neither of which could be done in our small down the road...on Sunday.  

Our new church was very new wave, with Latte Cart at the front door, and a rock band playing semi-rock/religious/spiritual music. As a child, I had gone to Catholic grade school. It was run by the nuns and priests who lived on campus,and even back then I didn't get into the evangelical arm waving, and I always considered communion the end of mass (church.) At this Christian Church,the kids spent most of the morning in the sanctuary's basement, attending Sunday School. They wouldn't join us until communion time, while we sat through the entire mass. It wasn't church, as I remembered it; no Catholic aerobics; stand, kneel, sit, repeat, and my kids got out of the whole mass thing.

So back to high school in Boise.  I talked to the Catholic track coach about my future trackster's involvement in club soccer, and was told she couldn't do both at their school.  She had been with her club soccer team long enough to feel she would be letting them down, so she bowed out of track, but transferred back to public school in the fall, and started high school track her sophomore year.  I met her coach at the start of the season, and he told me I have no doubt, she'll be a state contender. 

That's too bad for the Catholic School, I thought, but they had a chance.


Throughout high school, she sometimes she won, other races she was 2nd or 3rd, but always in the front of the pack.  She tried hurdling, and became adept, but never consistently three stepped the 100 meter race.  She did break the Boise city 300 meter hurdle record her senior year of high school, which made me pee my pants...literally.


Stay tuned...

No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...