Thursday, January 23, 2014

More Slang

It just really tickles me (older terminology) to hear old fashioned jargon used in the now.  That one’s current, and brings some Zen belief into the equation.

That Ts me off, is another of those vintage expressions.  I think the T must stand for tick, because you can be ticked, or Td off (either is paired appropriately with off.) It simply meant you were mad, or angry. 

Some sayings are over used quickly, and I tire of them before I even have a chance to use them.  That is, if I ever even wanted to use them in the 1st place. Some are expressions that remind me of the type of person I usually don’t care for.  Like It’s all good, makes me think of friends that abandoned me after I divorced, so that’s out.

A term I’ve used, even though I dislike it, is awesome. Who am I kidding? I hate it!  In the world of education, it is used a lot, but now that I am out of the day-to-day, I can honestly say everyone, and everything IS NOT awesome!  And, that’s OK, because that’s how life is; some things just suck.

Now that I’m out, I’ll never have to use awesome again. And now I can use a word my 5th graders never could.  That word is sucks, because it made them sound uneducated. Continuing with my rant, I told them I knew that was not true, because I was educating them! 

But we say it at home!  They’d whine.  Great,  I’d reply, just don’t say it here.

Now, even I say it, (see above) hypocrite/cynic that I’ve become. 

I don’t like the fact that the words back in the day, can mean back in my day.  I feel old enough, and don’t need any help from current slang.


I’ll end with a favorite that came from my dad. If something went wrong, or didn’t end the way dad had envisioned, he would say that really gravels my ass.  I wish my brain would let me use it more often, because it paints a really detailed image.

No comments:

The Veery

It took some convincing but I was allowed to drive, alone, to visit a very old friend at her cabin, the Veery, outside Great Falls. Althou...